Friday, April 25, 2014

Book Review: Prisoner B-3087

First Post! Lets see how it goes...

Summary: (amazon)

Gr 6-10-"If I had known what the next six years of my life were going to be like, I would have eaten more. I wouldn't have complained about brushing my teeth, or taking a bath, or going to bed at eight o'clock every night." Yanek Gruener was 10 years old when the German army invaded Poland in 1939 and trapped his family inside the walls of the Jewish ghetto in Krakow. Over the course of World War II, he saw his parents deported by the Nazis and survived 10 different concentration camps. Through Gratz's spare, persistent prose, the story of the boy's early life unfolds with the urgency and directness necessary for survivor stories. While some liberties have been taken, with the permission of Gruener and his wife, Ruth, also a survivor, the experiences and images come directly from the Grueners' collective memories of the war. 

My Thoughts. 

There  is a reason why I chose this book to be my first review.  First of all, you start out loving Yanek from the very beginning. Being a writer, I always try to create memorable characters. Yaneks strength and traits make a wonderful character, especially for what you know is going to happen to him. The second reason for my love of this book, is the writing itself. It's from Yaneks perspective, which I love. It's simple, gets to the point, and really is thought provoking. Some parts were hard to read, it being so devastating and heartbreaking. I almost cried more than once, and it takes a lot for me to cry.

Star Rating: 5 stars

Content Rating:Cautious--there is a lot of depth with the holocaust, violence, mild blood\gore,

I'm going to say 12 and up, and rate it PG13 


No comments:

Post a Comment