Friday, June 6, 2014

Book Reveiw: Number the Stars



















Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Summary: (amazon)

As the German troops begin their campaign to "relocate" all the Jews of Denmark, Annemarie Johansen’s family takes in Annemarie’s best friend, Ellen Rosen, and conceals her as part of the family.
Through the eyes of ten-year-old Annemarie, we watch as the Danish Resistance smuggles almost the entire Jewish population of Denmark, nearly seven thousand people, across the sea to Sweden. The heroism of an entire nation reminds us that there was pride and human decency in the world even during a time of terror and war.

My Thoughts:

I first read this when I was nine and loved it. This book was what started me on the cause and effect and all of the mysteries of the holocaust. The writing is perfectly awesome (Lowry has amazing writing style) and I really enjoyed the characters. But the summary outlined it to be more dramatic and enthralling than it turned out to be. Overall it was a fantastic book but I wouldn't recommend it for older reader. It's perfect for kids in 4\5th grade though.

Content: Cautious--violence, drama

My Rating: 5 stars (I loved it)

PG, 10 and Up

No comments:

Post a Comment